Superior Rutgers Team Tips Off Crimson Grid Weakness

By Richard A. Green

Clearly superior for the second time in two years, the Rutgers football team came to Cambridge last Saturday, scored 31 points, gave up 7, and helped point out to 17,000 patrons of the art what Coach Dick Harlow probably knew all last week:

1) injuries hurt more people than just those injured;

2) new teams cannot be molded in a week or even two, especially during hour exams;

3) mention of material depth at Soldiers Field is mockery;

4) Frank Burns, Herm Hering, and Bucky Hatchett, of Rutgers, make up the best trio to perform in the Stadium all year;

5) the Crimson, which appeared on equal--or better--terms than Boston College in September scrimmages, will have to fight for its life against Ivy League rivals for the rest of November.

Gotta Have a Program

As a matter of fact, the first half of the game Saturday pointed up no such things. Although starting with an end at fullback, a guard at tackle, and an end at center, the Varsity reluctantly allowed Rutgers the pleasure of a two-touchdown lead. Besides rugged New Jersey football, the Crimson was battered by three 15-yard penalties and an adverse wind.

For a time--a small amount, to be sure--it looked to the more optimistic Harvard like a reversal of last fall's Yale game. Their football team caught fire near the end of the half, moved to one touchdown both passing and running, and intimated that it was wise to Rutger's offensive trickery.

Harvard Learns a Thing

The Scarlet returned to the lectern in the second half, however, and illustrated its command of the sport on three occasions, most memorable of which was Hering's 66-yard touchdown punt return.

The state of things on the Crimson bench was also illustrated in the second half. One of Harvard's innumerable substitutions consisted of an end, Wally Flynn, who started the game at fullback where there was a noticeable vacancy, coming off the field to make room for a center, Chuck Flynn, who has a cast on his right arm up to his elbow. The incumbent center, John Fiorentino, moved out to the flank.

Half Moffie, the Crimson offensive gem who limped off the field near the close of the game, was reported last night by doctors to be in playable shape. He averaged nearly five yards a try for the 18 times he carried the ball