Kenary Works in New Back Slot After Layoff

By Richard W. Wallach

Bouncing back off the Scarlet stretcher with hopes of Tiger steaks on the training table, the Varsity gridders whipped through a spirited workout on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon. Best shot in the arm for the unchastened squad was the reappearance of Jim Kenary after an enforced layoff that began at Charlottesville, Va.

Kenary was once again getting used to the Stadium are light routine on the "B" team yesterday, but not in his old spot of tailback. The strategy high command shifted him to quarterback, where his passing eye and arm can provide some spot serial punch for the Harlow "T" Whether he can start Saturday will be settled by the medical men today.

Spot Pass Looms

November nostrum for the Crimson appears to be the short flat or up-the-middle passes. Kenary to end Red Hill, which, when Kenary was at left halfback, usually registered a long toss, will now mean a shorter but probably surer gain.

Ken O'Donnell, 60-minute man against Dartmouth, is expected to be sharing a goodly chunk of the quarter backing chores even if Kenary is pronounced ready to go against Princeton. To augment the halfback lineup weakened by the transfer of Kenary, Leo Flynn has been moved from behind the center signal calling spot. With this switch the tailback quartet shows a mixture of razzle and venerable experience embracing Hal Moffie, Jim Noonan, and Chuck Roche.

Both Moffle and Armando Mazzone, who were hit hard in the Rutgers fray, were reported in good shape yesterday, making the Saturday reversal inexpensive when reckoned in physical injuries.

The Jayvees ran Princeton plays in the early phases of the workout, which was purposely kept short.