Council Parking Committee Offers $5 per Month Lot at Soldiers Field

Street Commissioners Squelch Hopes of Free Car Storage; Poll Surveys Owner Opinion

Hopes for an overnight parking lot on Soldiers Field at a mere 12-cents-a-month fee were dashed yesterday by the Boston Board of Street Commissioners. But despite this setback, the Student Council is going ahead with its plans, and in a poll this, week is offering student car-owners a choice of either a fully protected lot for five dollars or the nebulous possibility of one unguarded and free.

Originally, the Council Committee headed by John K. Lally '49 had hoped to obtain the use of the HAA's newly-surfaced parking field near the Stadium at a cost only of the State's dollar-a-year licensing fee per car.

Boston Ordinance

However, HAA Business Manager Carrol F. Getchell decided yesterday that users of the Soldiers Field lot ought to pay rent of some sort to help in the payment of taxes. And once rental is charged, a parking field falls under a Boston ordinance which requires a 24-hour guard, fences, fire extinguishers, white lines to mark exits, and permits from the city council and the fire department.

Results of the Council's poll, in the form of postcard questionnaires sent to all students owning motor vehicles, will be tabulated Monday, and if the demand is neglible, the Corporation will probably veto the Stadium plan. But a fairly substantial vote for the proposal may bring about the creation of the first University-sponsored parking lot.

Distance is Disadvantage

The projected field has been recently resurfaced with a cinder and gravel coating, and would be able to handle a maximum of 1250 cars, far more than any conceivable demand. Only disadvantage would be its distance from the Houses, which would be at least a quarter of a mile.