Law Student Wins Waltham Council Election in First Venture into Politics

After tossing his hat into the political ring for the first time, Martin J. Hansberry 3L found that he had gained a seat as Councillor-at-large in Waltham when final ballots were tabulated Tuesday night.

But it was no easy battle for the amateur politico from the Law School, for his margin of plurality over the next man on the list was a mere 280 votes. Four councilor-at-large spots were placed on the line, and eight men were contesting for them when balloting began on Election Day; Hansberry ended up in fourth position, but that was all he needed.

The three other gentlemen who will take similar seats on next year's Waltham council are seasoned incumbents, whose re-election was seconded by an unusual 70 percent turnout.

Uncertain About Politics

Hansberry, a 26-year-old former Navy lieutenant and veteran of four years, is married and the father of a six-months-old girl. He had never made any kind of effort to gain office for himself before, and isn't exactly sure he wants to make a career out of politics. But so far he is batting 1,000.

Hansberry hasn't thought up any plans of a revolutionary nature for the City of Waltham while he is in office--he just thinks this is the most practical way to bring about "good government."

Not Much Work

Councillor-at-large is not a full-time job, and thus his duties on the Waltham Council will wreak no havoc with Hansberry's tough Law School grind, for his only legislative task will consist of meetings every Monday evening.