Fast BU Five Spoils Crimson Boston Garden Debut, 52-36

By Stephen N. Cady

Maybe it was the glass backboards. Maybe it was stage fright. At any rate, the Varsity played like a pick-up unit last night at the Garden when it took a 52 to 36 spanking from an aggressive Boston University quintet before a crowd of 7500. Halftime score was 26 to 25, B.U.

George Hauptfuhrer roamed the court with his usual cat-like grace, swishing five fieldgoals and four charity tosses for a point total of 14, and doing his best to steady the Crimson. His efforts were not nearly enough.

The Terriers, led by forwards George Gaudreault and Paul Clem, a relatively unknown sophomore, outran, outjumped and outshot their opponents most of the evening. With Clem (17 points) looping in short set shots and Gaudreault (15 points) getting the fast-break layups, B.U. manufactured a 10 to 4 lead before Bill Brady registered the first Harvard field goal at the five-minute mark. Rockwell free throws had accounted for the Varsity points.

Only once did Bill Barclay's men show why they are rated so highly in the East this year. Midway through the first half, they began playing basketball. Hauptfuhrer and Rockwell combined to shrink a 17 to 10 Terrier lead and give Harvard a 19 to 17 bulge. Minutes later, the Varsity held a 23 to 19 margin. This was the Crimson high-water mark.

With only ten minutes remaining in the game, B.U. held a seven point advantage. Over this span, the Varsity was able to make only two field goals and two fouls. Meanwhile, the Terriers were notching 15 points.

The summary:

HARVARD (86)  G  F  PHauptfubrer, rf  6  4  14Henry, lf  1  1  3Crosby  1  0  2Rockwell, e  2  5  9Prier  1  0  2Davis, rg  1  0  2Gannan  0  1  1Brady, lg  1  1  9Totals  12  12  3