South, Mid-West, West Coast Distort University

Envy of Harvard's Prestige Leads To Many Public Misconceptions

Hanuahvuhd, ch?" chuckled the corner druggist, and the youth in the grey flannels and button-down shirt winced visably. "Too good for the old state U?"

Behind such conversation as this slice of banter recorded in a Pierre, South Dakota, pharmacy lies the reason that Harvard is today the most maligned and misconstrued institution of higher learning in the nation.

The World Almanac lists 864 of these "state U's" and other colleges in the United States. When University of California president Robert Gordon Sproul recently assorted that. "American faculties overwhelmingly agree that Harvard is the first institution of the land," he simply poured salt in the wounds of the student had alumni, subway as well as actual, of every last one of the other 863.

Yet, to be found is the backer of any school from Dropsie, with a total enrollment of 27, to California, with over 20,000 students-who does not consider his own favorite, on of the top ten institutions in America. and who will not fight at the drop of an unfluting adjective.

Breeding Pays Off

Not long ago, a young at the University of Arizona chin and proclaimed that Arizona of the toughest colleges in the University. "Why, do you know they have the best animal husbandry major world down there," she announced .

Trouble national student supporters of schools all attempt to fit choice into the top ten. This is which the invention of the stretch has failed to alleviate.

Just as naturally, transtration of this mathematical impossibility cads to concerted resentment of Harvard, since men in the know, although they should know better, consists the Cambridge university number. This not only removes the other 863 from a chance at main billing, but also forces them into nine intended, of then ranks.

The outcome of these prevalent anti-Harvard sentiments is the development of popular and unfavorable misconceptions of the University to salve the wounded pride of the ever-loyal matriculant, past, present, and future.

Every June, students in Cambridge, Massachusetts, disband and, returning to native pastures for the summer vacation, are fronted by the most unusual and diverse of their university in the minds of the town folks.

Distance Helps Fallacies

If the individual scholar's thin a 300-mile radins of Boston, toward Harvard which he meets almost entirely upon the particular and economic environment of his iding so close to the University of its activities to of a general misconception.

But once the Harvard the Appalachian Mountains -Dixon Line to reach his domicile he must also don his armor to deferent fellow students from popular and united sparagement.

A recent survey of Harvard students from every state and every sizeable city in the South, Mid-West, and Far West proves, moreover, that, in spite of a good deal of overlapping, various misconceptions may be classified quite successfully along the above geographic lines. The prime mode of belittling the Harvard man links itself with such rare consistency to the general area of the nation that it cannot be overlooked.

South Sees Reds