English Department Slates Annual Boylston Oratory Contest for March

Competition for the Boylston Prize of Public Speaking will get underway in March, the English Department announced yesterday, as it released tentative plans for the annual contest.

The competition, one of the oldest in the College, will consist of a preliminary heat in the middle of March. The final round will take place at the end of the month at which the remaining contestants will deliver their orations at a public program at the Music Building.

Honorary judge of the contest will be Charles Townsend Copeland '82, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, Emeritus. The other judges will be announced later. Two first prizes of $50 and three second prizes of $25 will be awarded.

Candidates for the contest must file applications with Theodore Spencer, Boylston Professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, before February 27 at Warren House, giving the name of the selection which will be offered. Declamations may be taken from English, Latin, or Greek prose or poetry, and may not exceed seven minutes. The judges' decision will be taken from English, Latin, or Greek ject matter, Spencer said.

Boylston winners of the past include: H. V. Kaltenbern '69, radio commentator, and Edward A. Weeks, Jr. '22, editor of the Atlantic Monthly.