Sextet Humbles Favored Boston College, 4 to 3, As Barclay's Quintet Subdues Engineers, 57-46

Sears Notches Two In See-Saw Contest

By Bayard Hooper

The Crimson was never behind, but the customers didn't have a chance to relax until the final whistle, as Johnny Chase's Varsity sextet opened their season by racking up a 4 to 3 upset over B.C. last night.

It took ex-captain Johnny Crocker exactly 45 seconds to whistle in a pass from defenseman Dick Greeley, but the Eagles came to and took over the offensive. Left defense Johnny Gallagher equalized the tally at 8:12 after breaking through the Harvard defense and into the clear to take a pass from Johnny Corcoran.

Lavalle Saves Two

After this, both attacks dissolved until the final seconds of the first period, when two well-executed plays by the Moseley, Huntington and Abbet line failed narrowly. Again, this brought B.C. to life, and this time it was only two brilliant saves by goalie Jack Lavalle, a standout all night, that broke up unassisted thrusts by Johnny McIntyre.

It was again Lavalle who bore the brunt as the Eagles dominated play early in the second stanza, and the advantage shifted back and forth as each team drew successive penalties. A speedy B.C. defense broke up the Crimson attacks until Wally Sears took a sideline pass from Davy Key at 15:03 and blasted it through Bernie Burke.

The same combination almost pulled off an identical play 20 seconds later, but had to call off the attack when Al Key drew a penalty.

Six Penalties on Harvard

The tempo of play increased as Dave Key threatened twice, but then the Eagles got a free shot when Wally Sears drew one of Harvards six penalties while breaking up a play. Defenseman "Butch" Songin teed off at the goal, but Lavalle nonchalantly caught it and tossed it aside.

But 18 seconds into the final stanza Songin tied it up again by whacking a long one from the blue line which bounced past Lavalle. Things got hot and stayed hot. Moseley put the Crimson out in front again at 7:02 by flicking in a rebound. No more damage was done either way until Wally Sears took a Crocker pass at 17:40 on the blue line, upset two defensemen and rang up his second tally. The Eagles struck back with just over a minute to go, Mason angling through a Mahler Pass.   HARVARD (4)  B.C. (3) Sears  lw  Mahler Key, D.  c  McIntyre Crocker  rw  Corcoran Washburn  ld  Gallagher Greeley  rd  McCusker Lavalle  g  Burke