Fund Drive, Wheat Poll Face Last-Minute Snags

No Force to Wheat Plan, Says Reynolds

By William S. Fairfield

Crises in two of this year's major projects face the Student Council as it prepares for its weekly meeting tonight in Phillips Brooks House.

While the Service Fund drive seemed certain to fall short of the $25,000 goal by about $7,000, vice-President Reynolds reasserted last night that he would reject any food saving plan forced on a dissenting minority. This indicated that the Council could not enforce its wheat economy scheme in spite of a recent poll which showed students two-to-one in favor of the plan.

Menus Will Net Change

"The wheat products in question will remain on dining hall menus at all the present meals," said Reynolds. "It will be up to the individual student whether he fellows or breaks the Council's saving system."

Some College observers felt last night that the Council's work on the subject merited approval despite Reynolds's dictum. The Council, they argued, had (1) brought the seriousness of the European situation to the entire student body, and to the attention of the entire study body, and (2) presented the College with its first concrete system for saving wheat.

Students Will Decide Fate

They pointed out that the only change between the original and present plans is that success or failure now depends not on force but on the adherence of undergraduates to their ballot decisions.

First move, however, is up to the Council, which will decide tonight whether the two-to-one vote in favor of the wheat conservation plan merits further stress.

"Phillips Brooks House and several worthy charities will suffer because the Service Fund drive has fallen so short," Student Council Treasurer Ray A. Goldberg '48 announced last night, but added, "The fault does not lie in the size of individual contributions, but in the fact that we have failed to reach our goal of 100 percent participation."

Tonight the Council will discuss the plausibility of another drive this spring, Goldberg said.