Winthrop Downs Kirkland Five as Lowell Also Wins

Winthrop House rose from the depths of the intramural basketball standings yesterday to topple a favored Kirkland five 41 to 29, dumping the Deacons into a third place tie with the inactive Commuters, while Lowell and Adams were slugging it out on the next Indoor Athletic Building court to register a 38 to 37 triumph for the Bellboys.

Eight Puritans contributed to the Deacon thrashing which was close until a third quarter Winthrop scoring spree swamped their northern neighbors. Ledger Free was the victor's high scorer but his efforts were closely followed by his teammates, most of whom dented the rim at least once.

The Lowell-Adams squeaker saw Dave Templeton hit the nets for the most Gold-Coast tallies in an admittedly sloppy game between the un-coached House patriots. Fred Donahue sank 15 points for the Bellboys to be the top tally man in the game.

The starting lineups: Winthrop: rf, Wade; lf, Lunder; c. Stevens; lg, Free; rg, Nicholson. Kirkland: rf, Bessman; lf, Viegas; c. Carlin; lg, Semple; rg, Glynn.