Students Hold to Vocation Choices, Statistics Declare

Grant Study Figures Indicate Continuity in Undergraduate And Graduate Preferences

Contemplated careers of pre-war Grant Study participants and present Freshman stack up closely with present occupations of the now graduated "guinea pigs," statistics released yesterday by the Study show.

Business and medicine, which rank highest in undergraduate and graduate tastes, show the only sizeable changes. Eleven percent of Grant Study Sophomores and present Yard residents signified that they were headed for a commercial vocation, but 30 percent of those same sophomores are now in business careers. A somewhat smaller increase was also shown for medicine.

Stressing the fact that classifications, such as "science,' "medicine," and "business" are arranged according to trait categories observed in students, Grant Study physicians explained that many older veterans dislike the idea of long periods of post-graduate schooling, and that a desire for financial security is one of the attractions to business careers.

No Desire for Army

Law ranked third in order of choice for Grant Study men as graduates and undergraduates, and also for Freshmen. A career in the Army or Navy proved most unpopular of all occupations.

The Grant Study was set up in 1938 for the purpose of studying "normal" and successful students, Drs. Clark W. Heath and John P. Monks, physicians to the Grant Study, explained yesterday.