Watt Proposes First Advocate Issue in March

Revised Policy Will Emphasize Current Topics; Competition For All Boards Starts Soon

Plans for wholesale revision of the prewar Advocate, together with definite proposals for getting the magazine back into the street were released yesterday by Donald B. Watt, Jr. '47, chairman of the interim committee charged with reviving the publication.

Following a meeting yesterday afternoon of the committee, the plans were submitted for approval to the magazine's board of trustees and now must await their confirmation, Watt said.

He disclosed that the proposals, submitted in the form of a report on his committee's work, call for a competition starting during the last week in February, with the first issue tentatively scheduled to be ready for distribution one month later, just before the spring vacation begins.

Watt's plan would have the competitions end either one or two weeks after the College returns on April 6.

To Write on Current Problems

In the same report, the interim committee, appointed at the start of this term by the Cambridge branch of the Advocate trustees, proposed that the magazine move inward from its previous position on the literary fringes and attempt to grapple with various kinds of current problems. Watt said that there would still be room for two or three short stories in each issue, but that the accent would also fall on articles of national or international interest.

Another feature of the revived Advocate, according to Watt, may be a signed sports column by an as yet unnamed figure on the College scene.

A tentative quota was also set by Watt's group for the three boards of the Advocate--ten for the literary, ten for the business, and four for the art board. Watt made it clear, however, that these numbers were not permanent and only represented what he felt the magazine could handle in its early stages.