Lauterbach Is Wary of 'Big Smear' Trend

AVC Hears Meyer Ask United Action to Offset War; Jaffa, Conklin, Dysart Given Posts

Richard E. Lauterbach, Life correspondent who is a Nieman Fellow here, viciously lashed out last night at the "Big Smear" which he sees engulfing America. Speaking before a meeting of the University Chapter of the American Veterans Committee, Lauterbach pointed to the Lillenthal controversy and added that the Presidential appointee is "eminently qualified--even Harvard's Professor William Yandell Elliott admits that."

In an electifying address preceding Lauterbach's, Cord Meyer, Jr., AVC National Planning Committee member and chief framer of the organization's foreign policy, outlined minimum steps for strengthening the U. N. to prevent war. Meyer quoted remarks made to him by one of America's leading atomic scientists to the effect that war appears inevitable, that it will shortly become technically impossible to control the production of atomic weapons.

"This need not happen," Meyer told the veterans. "Separately we will be ignored. Together we have a fighting chance."

During the business portion of the meeting, special elections were held to fill vacant committee chairmanships and the post of Treasurer. Veterans affairs will be under the direction of Irving Dysart 2L, and membership recruiting, Charles Conkin '48. Lawrence Jaffa 2G will be responsible for maintenance of the treasury. Dick Rives '45 Occ reported for the Student Council that the chapter was invited to send a 20-man team to Europe this summer for rehabilitation work.