Socialist Leader Lists Party Aims In Talk March 3

Industrial Democracy Society To Hear Norman Thomas

Norman Thomas, member of the National Executive Board of the Socialist Party and five-time Presidential candidate, will address the Society for Industrial Democracy's first formal meeting on "Political Programs for 1948," in New Lecture Hall at 7:30 o'clock, March 3.

The talk is the first in a series that will bring to the University speakers representing various political beliefs. The lectures are aimed to promote discussions on the problems of modern industrial society, Thomas R. Brooks '50, Society president, announced yesterday.

Want Varied Opinions

"While not endorsing Mr. Thomas' opinions, or those of any political party," Brooks explained, "the Society feels that expression of ideas by persons of all political faiths is necessary to the formation of an informed and healthy opinion on contemporary affairs."

In line with the essentially educational, "non-doctrinaire" makeup of the organization, the Society is at present conducting two study groups. Small, informal meetings in the Houses are also planned.

Last term the Society presented, on an informal basis, David Lewis, Executive Secretary of the Cooperative Commonwealth Federation of Canada, and Harry Laidler, Executive Director of the League for Industrial Democracy, with which the Society at College is loosely affiliated.

At present, Brooks is hoping that groups similar to the Society will be organized at other colleges.