University to Run Salzburg Summer Class

Cater Announces Prospects for Austrian Seminar Conducted By Top Harvard Professors

Plans for a two-month seminar on American Civilization to be held in Salzburg, Austria and conducted by leading Harvard faculty members were announced last evening by Douglas Cater '46, Chairman of the International Activities Committee of the Student Council.

The project, directed by committee member Clemens Heller 2G and begun early last fall, is well under way now that the Austrian government has wired an official invitation together with the offer of Traunsee Castle, which has been equipped to accommodate up to 100 European students for the months of July and August.

Passport Permission Given

In addition, Allied Military Authorities have granted permission to hold the seminar, and the U. S. State Department has granted passport permission. World Student Relief in Geneva has undertaken full responsibility to supply food and to operate the institution. Students from all over Europe, selected on the basis of their need for physical recuperation as well as their scholastic achievement, will be invited to attend the seminar without expense.

To carry on specific plans for the project, Cater announced the appointment of a joint faculty-student committee. Serving in the student capacity will be Hellar, Richard Campbell '48, and Frank Fisher '48. Among faculty members who have volunteered their services are professors Matthiessen Miller, Piston, Salvemini, and Ulich; Miller professor Emerson; and assistant professor Beer.

Hunter Professor Volunteers

George M. Shuster, President of Hunter College, has volunteered to assist the committee in relations with UNESCO. Alfred Kazin, well-known author, Professor Meyer Shapiro of Columbia University, Professor G. A. Borgese of the University of Chicago, and Garret Mattingly, director of the department of Social Philosophy at Cooper Union, are also participating in the work.

Heller, Austrian-born student at Harvard, was reached last evening at Princeton University where he is participating in the Bicentennial Forum on the "University and its World Possibilities." He pointed to the fact that European students will be able to get first hand study of American civilization which is usually available only to the few who can come to America. He expressed hope that outstanding men in every field will be able to contribute to this seminar.

Cater pointed out that this was entirely a student initiated project, not supported by the University administration, and praised Heller for the outstanding job he has done. "Most of the major obstacles have been overcome," he explained, "but several must still be overcome before the seminar can take place."