Winthrop Wins Close Hoop League Tilt Over Fast-Finishing Deacon Five

Bellboys Crush Adams in Other Cage Battle, 47-29; Welders Winners in Yard Encounter

In the first game of yesterday's intramural basketball clashes. Winthrop's Puritans used a galaxy of substitutes to hold off a fast-finishing Kirkland five and ring up a 35 to 31 victory on the Indoor Athletic Building courts. The Deacons, playing without two regular starters, staged a last-minute drive led by Bernie Edison's three quick baskets but fell short of the mark as the last quarter ran out.

Stepping back after an upset victory over Leverett earlier in the week, a wild-shooting Adams quintet was ploughed under by Lowell House in the second game of the afternoon by a lop-sided 47 to 29 figure. Fred Donahue led the Bellboy avalanche with 25 points to cop high scoring honors of the day. Lowell, using its greater height to advantage, had the Gold Coasters boxed up throughout the game.

Welders Whip Gashousers

In the Yard League, the Welders wound up the afternoon's only meeting with an 11 point margin in sinking the cellar-dwelling Gashousers, 45 to 34.

The Welder's triumph enabled them to maintain a perfect season record of two wins in as many starts, and come into undisputed possession of first place by moving out in front of Thayer and Matthews, who each have one victory against no losses. The Sad Sacks of Straus and the Vets of Holworthy are deadlocked in a tie for third place with two wins and one loss, while a .500 percentage puts the Wigglesworth Wonders in fourth slot.