HDC Back to Pre-War Production, With Heavy Spring Schedule Slated

Probably the most sensational come-back in the sphere of post-war revival has been made by the Harvard Dramatic Club. By announcing that the leading lady in their production of "Adam the Creator" would be clothed in three fig-leaves, news of the Sanders Theatre opening was carried on wings of news wire to every English speaking paper in the world.

Not entirely devoted to artistic burlesque--the fig-leaf garb was abandoned in favor of a more inclusive costume when University Hall read the dispatches--HDC spends its more normal moments as a laboratory of experimental theater. Its purpose is primarily education of its members, and for this reason most of its plays are first performances of obscure works.

In addition to big productions staged two or three times a year, another phase of HDC's work is their "reading plays" performed frequently on an informal basis. During the past term G.B. Shaw's "In Good King Charles Golden Days" received its American premiere here as part of this program, as well as an adaptation of "Troilus and Cressida" and a student play, "The Devil's Art," by Allen Friedman.

Admission Free

These plays are put on chiefly to encourage student writing and to learn through criticism" according to HDC president Paul Burgraff. "Admission to the reading plays is free to anyone, and we encourage criticism both of writing and performances."

Lectures on various phases of backstage work are given regularly both by members of the club and professionals. Broadway keeps an eagle eye on Big Tree, and several shows which opened in Cambridge have later been taken over by New York producers.

Spring term will be a busy one, with at least one more major show planned, and a reading performance every two weeks. The lecture series, which is open to the whole college, will continue.