Vets Workshop Picks 'Saint Joan,' Searches for Star of Shaw Revival

Climax to three weeks of deliberation by the Play Reading Committee headed by Mendy Weisgal '45, 1G, has resulted in the selection of George Bernard Shaw's "Saint Joan" the next Veterans' Theater Workshop production. The offering will hit the boards of Sanders Theater on March 19, 21, 22, and 23.

Choice of the show resulted from a College-wide poll of student dramatic tastes taken January 14, in which Shaw won a majority of the votes.

"Although as a category, Satire and Comedy placed first," Weisgal explained, "the Workshop was faced with the problem of staging its show in Sanders Theater. We felt that it would be foolish to attempt light comedy in the gloomy confines of the Cothic monstrosity that is Sanders. After looking through all of Shaw's works, we came to the conclusion that 'Saint Joan' would be a perfect play for the type of show that is most effective in Sanders."

With the announcement of the Shaw presentation, the Workshop started immediately a city-wide search for a suitable actress to portray Jean. Elizabeth Bergner, currently appearing in the Boston production of "Miss Julie," has been invited to witness casting tryouts in Sanders, Friday and Saturday afternoons, from 1 to 5 o'clock. Miss Bergner played the title role in the German production of "Saint Joan."

20 Fat Parts Await Actors

Weisgal emphasized that parts for the Shaw opus, which will be directed by Jerome T. Kilty '50, will be open to all members of the University. "There are about 20 fat roles in 'Saint Joan,'" Weisgal stated, "and all men, veteran or non-veteran, are invited to participate in the tryouts."

By presenting an afternoon performance on Sunday, March 23, the group will innovate the first matinee in Harvard theatrical history.