Britain Demands U.N. Establish Agency to Aid War-Torn Lands; senate Group to Summon Lewis

Over the Wire

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y.,February 28 Great Britain called upon the United Nation Economic and social Council today to give top priority to the creation of a permanent economic commission which would help the war-ravaged nations of Europe get back on their feet.

Hector McNeil British Minister of State, said that in his opinion that was the most important issue before the Council, as it opened its fourth session with more than 30 items on its agenda.

Although no decision was reached as to when this question would come up, it appeared likely that the Council would begin debate on it early next week. The delegates were generally agreed that such a commission should be created, but Russia and the Western Powers were expected to clash over the exact duties and functions of the proposed agency.

At its afternoon session the Council unanimously endorsed a resolution of the General Assembly providing that the Council should consult with the secretary General on the Financial implications of all proposals before taking action.