Debaters Bow to Drew in Dispute Over Labor Issue

Quoting labor leaders William Green, John L. Lewis, and Phillip Murray to buttress their case, a negative team from Drew University defeated the Debate Council in Adams House last night in a contest on the subject of labor participation in management.

Speaking for Drew were Mare Joseph and Frederick Aldrich; while Peter H. Clayton '50 and Lucian C. Pariato '50 up held the Debate Council's affirmative position.

To support their stand on the topic: "Received. That labor should be given a direct share in the management of industry," the affirmative pointed to the success of labor-management committees during the war. The affirmative also claimed that giving labor a share in management would tend to unite capital and labor, diminish industrial strife, and put an end to the possibility of class warfare.

Claim Labor Unfit

The negative arguments centered on the fact that management was a skilled job, requiring specialized information and training; and that labor would therefore be unable to perform satisfactorily in a managerial role.