Matmen Journey to Tackle Yale in New Haven; Swimmers Trek to Nassau for Big Three Meet

Grapplers Rated on Even Terms with Elis; Yardlings to Clash in Preliminaries

By Robert Carswell

Just about evenly matched on paper, the Crimson and Yale wrestling teams collide today at New Haven as Chief Boston's squad goes out to hand the Blue Bulldogs their first defeat in the last 11 years of Harvard-Yale wrestling matches. Prior to the Varsity meet Jay Thomas's Freshman team meets the Eli representatives of the class of '50.

Coached by wily John O'Donnell, the Blue team has not had an impressive season's record, losing to Army and Princeton by approximately the same score as the Crimson did. They did turn in a win over Columbia, however, while the Varsity lost to the Lions.

John Chaffee, who fills either the 155 or 165-pound class, was recently elected captain of the Bulldogs and is probably the best wrestler on the squad. Norm Hascall at 128 and John Stenger at 165 have been consistent winners for Yale this season, but Stenger may not be available for today's match.

Past Records Mean Little

Drawing conclusions from past records is singularly inapplicable in the case of the Yale match, because O'Donnell in the past has always been able to come up with new men or a juggled lineup with which to worry the Crimson.

Chief Boston plans to use a slightly revised slate from that which wrestled most of the season's matches. At 121 will be Bill Bluemel while at 128 Pat Bowditch replaces Pete Knox who is out for the rest of the season. Reliable Frank Trinkle will be at his usual 126-pound slot.

Undefeated Dan Ray is at the 145-pound class but captain Don Louria is moving down to 155 for this meet. At 165 Jim Howard is scheduled to start while Bob Claflin holds down the 175-pound slot. Pete Fuller, at heavyweight, rounds out the crimson's roster.

The Yale Freshman team boasts an unblemished record so far this year although they were tied by Princeton and undoubtedly will provide the Yearlings with their toughest competition of the year. The Crimson lineup; 121-Bob Dennison; 128-Jim Westfall; 136-Bill Currier; 145-Duncan Devereux; 155-Sandy Jones; 165-Ray Rogers (capt.); 175-Charles Beber; Unlimited-Howie Houston.