Blue Weekend Sees Three Varsities

New Haven Swimmers Crush Crimson 49-26, Three Records Broken

Three records were broken along with the back of Crimson water power in the Indoor Athletic Building pool Saturday night, as the invading Yale power-house overwhelmed Coach Hal Ulen's men 49 to 26 before a sellout crowd.

Meet, Yale, and pool records went under beneath the flailing arms of Eli's Allen Stack in 150-yard backstroke with 1:33.4. The former Yale record was notched by Alan Ford, free-style ace, at New Haven in 1944, taking the water on his back for variety.

Stack Notohes Another

In the opening 300-yard medley relay, Stack again had the first leg share of another top-notcher, a new dual meet record of 2:59.2.

Momentary cheer was afforded to Varsity rooters by the game performance of Walt Bullard, who stayed the Blue tide temporarily in the 220-yard free-style. The vet Freshman's first here in 2:16.0 set a new Yardling record with the five points. But the Bulldog clung right to the Crimson fetlock with second and third.

Scattered Crimson Laurels

The 50 spring saw Yale take win and place, but some fancy diving artistry by Bob Asron and Tom Drohan pushed Harry Lockery of the New Havens down to third on the three meter board.

Charlie Stradella of Yale stayed close enough to the pace setter, Stack, in the backstroke, for a Blue line across the board. But in the following two events before the fatal relay the Varsity was able to make its best tell.

Chuck Hoelzer, beginning with a margin to make up, climbed steadily for 200-yards of butterflying to win the breast stroke. Jerry Gorman led his quarter mile race by a reach at the flags, but to maintain his lead he had to swim a flat minute for the first 100 yards.

However numerically inconsequential the result, the 400-yard relay provided a bitter battle and a close finish, as Yale's Clement took command on the last lap over the Varsity's flagged Bullard.