Food Relief Committee Extends Drive for Week

Twenty Percent of University Yet to Be Approached for Collection, Campbell Reveals

Food Relief Committee leaders yesterday ordered a seven-day extension of the current drive originally scheduled to end tonight.

"There's more money out there if we can only reach it," asserted Richard D. Campbell, Jr. '48. "The drive has by no means stalled; we'd end it if it had. Money is coming in all the time, but collections are taking longer than we expected."

In the meantime, weekend contributions drove the campaign total up to $16,411, or within $8,589 of the University's $25,000 goal.

Fully 20 percent of the students of the College have for various reasons not yet been approached, Campbell stated. In addition, Law and Business School men, as well as the faculty and commuters, have not responded favorably to letters of solicitation.

"It is to give these people added personal encouragement and time extensions that we've prolonged the drive," he said.

Two-Pronged Attack

Outlining a two-pronged attack designed to put the campaign over the top, Campbell disclosed solicitors will concentrate on undergraduates in an all-out effort to wind up the College drive by tonight.

Commuters will be approached personally at Dudley, he said, requesting students who will be absent from their rooms during the day and who intend to contribute to leave the money with roommates of with the dining hall checker.

Later in the week the final push will reach the graduate students, especially those in the Law and Business Schools. Direct dormitory solicitation is planned, and will be augmented at the Law Schools by collection desks in Langdell South and Austin Hall.

Farther afield, wives at Hotel Brunswick and Harvardevens have organized solicitation groups and will assist in the mopping up process of students who have been reached only by mail.