Lowell Still Unbeaten as Swim Race Ends; Winthrop Leading Wrestlers

Leverett Quintet Holds Lead with 32-22 Win Over Kirkland; Adams Squash Squad Clinches League 'A' Title, Will Play Eli

Undefeated Lowell captured the House swim crown with a double triumph over Winthrop and Eliot in last night's final triangular meet. The Bellboy mermen, who downed Winthrop 32 to 16 and won from Eliot by default, will defend their supremacy against an invading Eli squad on March 22.

A dual win for Kirkland over Leverett and Dunster gave the Deacons the runner-up slot, while dropping Winthrop to third. Dunster topped Leverett 26 to 13 to move into fourth place, leaving Eliot and Leverett tied for fifth and Dudley in the year.

Wrestling Finals Completed

Wrestling finals in the lightweight classes were completed yesterday, with Howie Schless of Winthrop downing Lowell's Kenneth Chun 5 to 0 in the 121-pound event, while the 136-pound crown went to Whitney Frye of Lowell House by default.

The 155-pound class boasted some of the day's best wrestling as Tom Smyth turned in two outstanding performances in eliminating Frank Goodwin and Cliff Fichtner. Smyth will face Buddy King, also of Eliot House, in one of five finals to be held on Thursday.

Finalists Listed

Gaining the remaining finalist berths were Witt Smith of Winthrop and John Easton of Dunster in the 145-pound class, Carl Stork of Leverett and Winthrop's Len Cummings in the 165's, and Fred Donahue of Lowell and Henry Payson of Leverett, 175-pounders. Ken Middendorf of Eliot will tackle Leverett's Irv Chilcott in the heavyweight match.

As the House Basketball race neared the wire, Leverett maintained its slim lead over runner-up Lowell by romping home over the Deacon five last night, 32 to 22. Leading 21 to 4 at the half, Leverett played its second string for most of the game, and coasted to victory. In the evening's opener, Winthrop turned in a surprise win over hot-and-cold Dunster, 36 to 26.

The lineups: Leverett: rf, Warren; lf, Cameron; c, Thorne; rg, Hurley; lg, Eden. Kirkland: rf, Cole; lf, Veegas; c, Carlin; rg, Glynn; lg, Semple.

Winthrop: rf, Wade; lf, Berens; c, Powell; rg, Garvey; lg, Noonan. Dunster: rf, Okamura; lf, Cohen; c, Brunsman; rg, Flynn; lg, Rosenberg.

Final tabulation of the League "A" squash standings show that Adams' 4 to 1 decision over Winthrop on Monday clinched the league title for the Gold Coasters, who will meet Yale at New Haven on March 22.