Yale Debacle Spurs Quintet In Columbia Game Tonight

Another Crimson Upset Could Ruin Lions' Hope for NCAA Invitation Later in Month

By Irvin M. Horowitz

Still smarting from the prestige bruises sustained at New Haven last Saturday night, the Varsity basketball team will attempt to regain its equilibrium tonight on the most difficult testing-ground of the Ivy League, Columbia's cozy court at Morningside Heights in New York City.

The Lions, who clinched the league championship last week, will be playing their final game of the season, and Coach Forrest Ridings is expected to open all the scoring valves in his effort to reverse the Varsity's upset of his charges two weeks ago.

Lions May Enter Tourney

In addition, the Columbia team is within beckoning distance of a National Collegiate Athletic Association invitation to the Madisen Square Garden tournament later this month, and a victory tonight would practically assure its selection. Another upset at the hands of the Crimson and the NCAA officials may look elsewhere for an Eastern representative.

Columbia's home court is unlike any other in the Ivy League and is reputed to be the toughest in the circuit for a visiting team to master. Situated in an old-fashioned building with a tiny seating capacity, the Lions' floor is embellished with sideline posts and other interesting architectural obstructions.

No Varsity Changes

Coach Bill Barclay, who predicts that Saturday night's finale against the Elis at the Boston Arena will bear no resemblance to the New Haven fiasco, plans no changes in his lineup. Steve Davis and Leo Page will pair at the forwards, George Hauptfuhrer will be at center, and Captain Saul Mariaschin and Bill Brady at the guards.

For the Lions, it will be the same quintet which started the Indoor Athletic Building engagement. Al Vogel and Vin Lolordo are at forwards, Walt Budko, still in the race for the individual scoring title, at center, and Sherry Marshall and Monty Moskowitz at the guards.