Crimson Five Faces Yale in Final Contest

Varsity Seeks Revenge on Eli At Arena Tonight; Freshmen Open Twin Bill at 8 O'Clock

By Irvin M. Horowitz

The final curtain drops tonight on an inconsistent Varsity basketball team, which plays an equally unpredictable Yale five at the Boston Arena at 9:30 o'clock in its last official appearance of the season. In the first half of the double-header, the Freshman squads of both colleges meet at 8 o'clock.

Although there is nothing resembling a league championship at stake tonight, elements of revenge, personal bids for scoring honors, and all of the tradition that surrounds any kind of Harvard-Yale engagement should suffice to holy any spectator's interest.

Lavelli Big Blue Gun

Personal interest focuses on Yale's Tony Lavelli, the Eli who scored 32 points against the Crimson last Saturday to defeat Coach Bill Barclay's team almost single-handed. Lavelli, with 175 points in 11 league games, needs 16 points to tie Columbia's Walt Budko for the league's individual scoring laurels. George Hauptfuhrer will do his best to prevent any such eventually.

For four members of the Varsity squad, tonight will be their last effort for a Harvard basketball team. Captain Saul Mariaschin, one of the fanciest ball-handlers and best set shots in Crimson basketball history, will be bowing out, as will forward Leo Page, and substitutes John Noble and Jack Clark. It is reasonable to assume that these gentlemen are anxious to end their college court careers with a flourish.

Hope to Bottle Yale

Coach Bill Barclay predicted earlier this week that the Elis will not have things their own way tonight, and the plans undoubtedly center around methods of preventing another Tony Lavelli Night. A few changes are expected in the Varsity lineup. Mariaschin and Steve Davis will be at forward, Hauptfuhrer at center, and Chip Gannon and Bill Brady at the guards.

Lavelli's four cohorts include Tom Redden and Stan Peacock at the forwards, and Gordy Davis and Fred Nadherny at guard. This is the same unit which inflicted a 60 to 38 defeat on Barclay's team last weekend.