VTW to Convert Mem Hall Transept Into Vast Reims Cathedral for 'Joan'

Memorial Hall's huge transept will be transformed into the interior of Reims Cathedral to highlight the production by the Vets' Theatre Workshop of "St. Joan," opening this Wednesday.

John Holabird '42 2GSD, veteran of eight years of Harvard dramatics, is head man of the production crew. Helping to make it a family affair, Mrs. Holabird will play the title role while Chris Holabird '48, John's brother, will help on the stage crew.

Searchlight Used

The extraordinary technique, which will make use of a stained glass window showing a scene in the life of Joan, will be lighted in part from behind the window by a Fire Department searchlight across the street.

The many other shifts called for by Shaw's complicated script are handled by Holabird's production crew. Where directions call for medieval castle walls, heavy curtains will be hung from specially constructed platforms to give the impression of stonework.

Grandeur Stressed

Elaborate production of the scene at the court of the Dauphin will include velour curtains suspended from a cantilever structure in the student balcony over the stage to render an effect of height and richness. A large throne has also been put together for the Dauphin's court.

The handling of the climatic trial scene will again make use of the platforms, on which the court officials and prosecutors will be seated. Joan, the defendant, will be stationed low on the stage, to give the impression of nearness to the audience.

The long production saga of the elder Holabird includes a spectacular 1940 production of "the Ascent of F-6," by Auden and Isherwood, in which all the seats in Sanders pit were torn out to provide for the construction of a manmade mountain.

Despite the production difficulties of the curtainless, wingless, lightless Sanders hall, Holabird says that it has "one great intanglible quality of space which no other theatre hereabouts can rival."

Overcoming difficulties in finding a place to rehearse when it moved to the plush Somerset Hotel, "Saint Joan" will open at 8:30 o'clock Wednesday and run for four days.