Penny-in-Slot Meters to Signal End Of Free Parking in Square Vicinity

280 Parking Gadgets Readied For Use Starting Next Week With Five Cent Hourly Rate

Two hundred eighty shiny, new parking meters will be ready next week to toll the knell of free parking days around the Square.

While Boylston Professors of Rhetoric and Oratory may tether their cows in Cambridge Common for nothing, others connected with the University will be paying a charge of one cent for 12 minutes, five cents per hour, for parking their automobiles in Square environs when the meters start collecting next week.

About three weeks of grace will be given to car owners while they accustom themselves to the new-fangled contraptions before Cambridge police start tagging violators of the new traffic laws. After that period, motorists will pay five dollars a minute for their illegal parking if caught.

Will Operate 14 Hours

The 280 machines, which will be on duty 14 hours a day from 8 to 10 o'clock, are only a starter, according to Cambridge city officials, who anticipate adding more meters shortly.

The present parking meters are being erected on Massachusetts Avenue, Boylston Street, and Brattle Street at a price to the city of $60 per meter.

Crimson drivers will not be the only ones to feed the mechanical kitty. Meters are going up in Central Square where Tech men will get a chance to use their mathematics in figuring the cost of several hours parking.