Just A Formality

Terpsichorean tactics during the past months have spread dissatisfaction among the ranks of the financially unbalanced. Laboring under the excessive outlays for tuxedo rents, steeped ticket prices, and corsages, the opponents of House formal dances are dismayed at the growing burdens of social life.

Perhaps the critics have been blinded by a misconception of the number of formal dances given thus far this year. Figures show that the Houses have maintained a fairly even keel between the two kinds of entertainment. Extremes range from all informal dances at Leverett to a preponderance of formals at Lowell. The decision regarding the type of dance is made entirely by the individual dance committee of each House so that a well represented committee should be competent to test House opinion on the matter. A limit of three open dances per year for each House is the only restriction imposed by the University while the number of closed dances is unlimited subject to approval by the House Master.

The best compromise would be to increase the number of informal dances rather than diminish the number of formals. More informals, closed if necessary, would undoubtedly attract the gentlemen of moderate means. To further the promotion of social harmony, the record dance program should be enlarged and if possible, established on a College-wide basis for reduction in cost.