Council Makes Plans for Students' Work in Italy

Successful Applicants to Help Reconstruct Italian Towns; Schedule Will Include Tours

Reconstruction work in war-devastated Italian villages has been arranged for 15 University undergraduates this summer under a pay your own way plan, Chairman Francis D. Fisher '47, of the International Activities Committee of the Student Council, announced last night.

In what Fisher termed "essentially a Harvard project," the students will provide for their own subsistence plus ship passage of $600 for the opportunity of working alongside other students from all over Europe.

Under the direction of the International Student Service in Geneva, those accepted for the project will help rebuild Italian towns for four weeks and then will take a conducted tour of Italy, meeting with foreign student groups en route.

Language Ability Needed

Chosen on the basis of language ability, preferably Italian, and experience in construction work, the successful applicants will be abroad from July 1 until the end of August.

Joining the College contingent will be five women selected from local colleges. Smith College will furnish two of the female representatives with other allocations yet to be made.

Fisher urged all interested undergraduates to attend a meeting on the project Tuesday night at a time and place to be announced in the CRIMSON Monday.

At the same meeting, the previously announced Caen University project will be discussed, and applications for both accepted. The rector of the famed French school requested help from the International Activities Committee last fall, explaining that living quarters had been almost entirely destroyed by the Allied advance of July 7, 1944.