College Houses Will Receive $6000 Sums for Permanent Improvements

Masters Direct Work

Each of the seven College Houses will receive $6000 for permanent improvements this spring, Provost Buck announced yesterday for the University.

Selection of projects for the individual Houses was left up to the masters, who submitted preliminary proposals to the Provost April 1. Final decisions on the program will be made at a meeting of the housemasters at University Hall Thursday.

The appropriations are part of the University's policy to get the overcrowded Houses "as livable as possible as quickly as possible," said the Provost, and are a part of the same program that is sponsoring 35 new tennis courts to cope with the current shortage of playing surfaces.

Navy Weighs Anchor

When the armed services moved out of the Houses in 1946, he said, the University concentrated its maintenance work on getting the rooms ready for the influx of students that followed on the heels of demobilization. Now, he added, funds are available for "something above the normal run of maintenance and repairs."

Actual construction work will begin during the spring and summer where the supply of materials and the nature of the individual projects permit. The $42,000 program is the first of its kind to be instituted by the University, Provost Buck disclosed, and is aimed at insuring the livability of the Houses when the College emerges from its overcrowded state.