Varsity Nine to Perform In Home Opener Today

Lowell Textile Faces Crimson In Battle at Soldiers Field; Connolly Is Starting Pitcher

By Irvin M. Horowitz

Despite the absence of flag-raising ceremonies and a public figure to throw out the first ball, it will be opening day at Soldiers Field this afternoon when the Varsity baseball team displays its talents before the home folks for the first time, in a contest against Lowell Textile at 8 o'clock.

Bill Connolly, the strong-armed right-hander who received credit for both of the Crimson's victories in the three-game vacation tour of the Middle Atlantic States, is Coach Adolph Samborski's pitching choice against the men from Lowell, who initiated their season Thursday with a 6 to 4 victory over Fitchburg Teachers.

Two Lineup Changes

Samborski has made two changes from the lineup employed against Maryland, Navy, and Penn. Catcher Bill Hamlen is ill, and other Bill Barron, who has been troubled with a bad hand, or Web Durand will replace him. In right field, Len Lunder will start in place of Nick Rodis, who is no longer with the team.

Otherwise, the same Varsity lineup which showed pitching strength, defensive ability, but somewhat effete hitting power in its first three contests, will take the field today. The infield, which has made only one error in three games, consists of Billy Fitz at first, Captain Jack Forte at second, Saul Mariaschin at shortstop, and John Coppinger at third.

Coulson Leads Hitters

Flanking Lunder in the gardens are center-fielder John Caulfield and left-fielder Walt Coulson; Coulson's .365 batting average leads the squad, and with Hamlen ailing, he is the only Varsity starter above .300.

If the game develops into a rout--and no such speculation can be made this early in the season--Samborski will probably substitute freely, especially in the outfield, where three newcomers to the squad--Leo Flynn, Bob Copaccio, and Bucky Harrison--were issued uniforms earlier in the week.

Samborski intends to use Connolly all the way unless his ace encounters difficulty.

The lineup: Forte, 2b.; Caulfield, cf.; Fitz, lb.; Coulson, l.f.; Lunder, r.f.; Mariaschin, ss.; Coppinger, 3b.; Durand, c; Connolly, p.