Ode on a Grecian Loan

The Senate approval of the Truman proposals for aid to Greece and Turkey launches the United States on a foreign policy clearly motivated by national interest in the narrowest sense of the term. It marks the end of the hope that new ways could be found to meet the old problem of keeping the peace.

Adoption of the Truman doctrine means that American foreign policy has become the unconditional opposition to Russian expansion. It means that where American interests do not coincide with the interests of Democracy, American interests will take precedence. United States support of a vicious and corrupt Greek monarchy makes this fact increasingly apparent. In short, the policy of the Truman administration indicates that the extension of Democracy is to play second fiddle to the checking of Communism.

In the less than two years since the end of the war the bi-partisan dream of Wendell Willkie's one world and Franklin Roosevelt's four freedoms has been shattered. To place the complete blame for the demise of this dream on the present administration would be an unjust indictment. Other powers in the world today, notably the Soviet Union and Great Britain, have consistently followed a program of self interest. However, the power of the atom, and the vastness of American industrial wealth place the United States in a unique position. This nation alone can afford to gamble on the chance that the world can be led to understanding rather than forced to conflict.

To make a gamble of this sort requires a rare type of courage and ability. It is much easier to follow the charted ways of nationalism than it is to face the unknown paths of internationalism. Tragically the charted path has been followed before and it has always led to the same unfortunate destination. Tuesday the American Senate refused the gamble.

The effects of the Senate action may not be immediately evident. The U.N. will remain, but instead of a community of nations it will remain as a trading place for diplomatic hucksters. The peace will remain for one decade or two or three because war cannot be fought by impoverished nations. But unless there is a rebirth of that desire for genuine world government that was born in the war and has died with the peace then America has chosen the safe road to eventual war.