Traveler Sees 'Co-education' Adopted Here

Faculty Vote, Misinterpreted by Boston Paper, Only Extends Current Set-up Permanently

By J. ANTHONY Lewis

Hysteria, the endemic malady of the Boston Press, broke loose again yesterday as the Traveler caught sight of female figures in the Harvard Yard and let out its biennial cry of "co-education!"

With a Faculty vote of April 15 as a weapon, the Traveler charged Quixote like into the windmill of traditional masculine sanctity. The vote, which Boston reporter Alice Burke charged meant "Faculty Has Plan to Open Courses to Radcliffe Girls," was in effect simply a continuation of the joint instruction policy which has existed since 1943.

Voted April 15

The vote of April 15 petitioned the Governing Boards of the University to approve an amendment to the Faculty decision of April 6, 1943-the date on which the new permanent plan for Harvard Radcliffe relations was approved. At that time it was voted to permit only Radcliffe Juniors and Seniors to attend "Harvard courses of advanced grade."

Even before that permanent sanction of 1943, however, a war-time manpower saving bill permitting joint instruction in all but Freshman courses had been passed, and the College has operated under this rule since the summer term of 1943.

Would Have Ended

Under the recent Faculty move to eliminate all "emergency" legislation in June, 1948, this wartime stretching of joint instruction to include all but Freshman classes would have ended after next year.

The Faculty vote of tow weeks ago asked the Governing Boards to incorporate the wartime rules into the permanent structure of the Harvard Radcliffe agreement, leaving the existing relationship-despite Miss Burke and the Traveler-unchanged.