Shapley Attacks Truman Aid Program, Says 'Red Purge' Tactics Endanger Other Groups

Demanding that the government "be fair and open with its citizens," Harlow Shapley, Paine Professor of Practical Astronomy and director of the College Observatory struck at at "witch-hunting" tactics of the Congressional Committee on Un-American Activities and President Truman's proposed program for aid to Greece Square Garden last Monday evening in New York.

Sharing the platform with Henry A. Wallace and Elliott Roosevelt, Professor Shapley declared that "hiding under our natural national sympathy for the hungry Greeks, without consulting us, our government sets out to capitalize the planet, without finding out if all sections of the planet want to experience our types of freedom."

Turning to the recent "purge" orders of the administration, the 61 year old scientist told the overflowing Garden audience that "the suppression of a Communist Party would merely be a preliminary for the suppression of other smear-able minorities. Would the Society of Jesus be next in line, or the Democrats in Vermont, or the Republicans in Mississippi?" he asked.

In the principal talk of the meetings, former Vice-President Wallace called for a referral of the Greek and Turkish situations to the United Nations.