Ball Team Moves Outdoors, Plays Practice Contest

Varsity baseball moved onto Soldiers Field for the first time this year yesterday afternoon as Coach Adolph Samborski divided his squad into two teams and held a practice game which ran for the regulation nine innings.

Warm sun, a relatively dry field, and a trace of real baseball weather in the air lured the batsmen into the great outdoors, along with a sprinkling of team uniforms, baseball chatter, and interested onlookers. Practice Monday and prior to the vacation road trip was held in the dusky confines of Briggs Cage.

Hitting is Weak

Pitchers Ralph Hymans, Bren Reilly, and Jack Wallace went three innings spiece, each doing the hurling for both teams. Hitting was restricted to spasmodic singles, Walt Coulson delivering the only extra base blow with a short double down the left field line.

Toward 5:30 o'clock and the eighth inning, cold weather descended. "I hate to keep the team so late," said Samborski, "but we have a lot to do before Saturday's game with Lowell Textile."

Afterwards the coach said the practice worked out well in giving him a line on three pitchers and he plans a similar workout this afternoon against Hal Kopp's Freshmen.

Connolly Starting Choice

In commenting on the pitching, he said he would probably start Bill Connolly again on Saturday. Reilly looks like his second starter right now, although Wallace is "coming along fast," and Ira Godin "looked very good" in his abbreviated stint against Navy.

While standing pat on his infield, Samborski said he contemplated a few experiments in the outfield with a view to finding greater power at the plate.