Houses Make Spring Sports Tourney Plan

Competition for Straus Trophy Gets Under Way Next Week With Bunnies Holding Lead

Robins in the House courtyards won't be the only signs of a new-born spring next week when five teams from each of the Houses start out on the last lap of the Straus Trophy competition in the spring intramural tournaments.

Meeting yesterday afternoon in the indoor Athletic Building with Adolph W. Samborski '25, director of intramural sports, House athletic secretaries worked out details for tournaments in baseball, softball, tennis and crew.

Golf proved the only stumbling block to the group's efforts, as nearby links seemed loath to allow students to use their facilities. Final arrangements as well as complete schedules for all sports will be drawn up in a second meeting of the House secretaries on Friday.

Double Elimination Tourney

The baseball championship will be decided by a double elimination tournament. Besides the diamond on which regular inter-House games will be played, there is a second practice field ready for use. No definite times for practice will be assigned, and teams may use it at any time. League games will begin at 3:30 o'clock.

Each House will hold its own tennis tourney to select a five-man team to represent it in the championships. The entries must be made by May 1, the meeting yesterday decided, so that the play-offs can begin at that time.

Three softball diamonds will be available for practice and round robin playoffs. Starting Monday, games will begin at 4 o'clock. Two practice fields will be ready at the same hour.

Crews to Race in May

Shells from each of the Houses will be but on the river every night, getting in practice for the championship race, which is scheduled to be held the second week in May. Awaiting the winner will be the Agassiz cup. Each House crew will have its own coach.

As the Houses prepare for the spring sports tourney, Leverett leads the flock for the Straus Trophy, having racked up 688 points in the fall competition. Following close behind is Lowell with 627 1/2; Kirkland with 599; Eliot with 569; Dunster with 552 1/2; Winthrop with 524 1/2; Adams with 459 1/2; and Dudley with 380.