Princeton Downs Crimson Nine 1-0, After Penn Takes Morning Game 3-2

As meek at the plate as it was potent afield and on the mound, the Varsity baseball team dropped one-run decisions to Pennsylvania and Princeton at the Nassau diamond Saturday, tumbling from first to fourth place in the Ivy League in the process.

Both Jack Wallace, who was bested by Penn's Bill McCunney, 3 to 2, in the morning, and Brendon Reilly, who lost a 1 to 0 decision to Princeton's Bob Wolcott after lunch, pitched excellent ball, but the Crimson was able to corral only eight hits in 18 innings of play.

Against the Quakers, the Varsity scored single runs in the first and second innings, but Penn came back with markers in the second, third and fourth--the winning tally on a squeeze bunt--to nudge Dolph Samboraki's men. McCuney, who lost a 2 to 1 decision to Red Connolly early in April, set the Crimson down with only one hit in the last seven inning.

Afternoon Three-Hitter

Base hits were even more scarce in the afternoon affair, as Wolcott yielded three hits and an equal number of walks in the first three frames, and then turned back the last 18 Varsity batters in order. Reilly, who gave up only five singles, walked Chad Brewer to open the first inning--the only pass he issued--and singles by Toby Fullerton and Bob Gallagher after two men were out produced the only score.

The double defeat set the Crimson behind Yale, Princeton, and Penn in the Ivy League, and pushed the team's overall season record down to a .500 average with seven victories in 14 starts.

The league standings: Team  Won  Lost  Pct. Yale  3  0  1.000 Princeton  4  2  .667 Pennsylvania  5  3  .625 Harvard  3  2  .600 Columbia  4  4  .444 Cornell  1  4  .200 Dartmouth  1  5  .167