20 Colleges Hold NSO Regional Meeting Here

Conference Lays Groundwork For National Convention in Wisconsin Next September

Thirty-five delegates, from 20 New England member-colleges of the National Student Organization, and 40 more official observers concluded a two-day session of education and policy-airing last night as groundwork for the national convention in Wisconsin next September.

Although much time was consumed in finding areas of agreement on constitutional points, the conference was called primarily to acquaint new and uninformed representatives with NSO problems and, on this point, was viewed by the College's delegation as "on the whole, successful."

Straw-Voting Held

With the possibility that the region will operate concertedly at the forthcoming convention, straw-votes were conducted on what the group thought would be major issues in Madison--an eleventh hour vote favoring affiliation with the International Union of Students.

An early conference agreement came on a revision of NSO objectives. Sharing in the majority vote was the College delegation of Charles R. Conklin '48, Francis D. Fisher '47, and Selig S. Harrison '48.

Aside from committee-work on the five proposed commissions--similar to the current Student Council committees, the weekend meetings centered around five contested points in the draft constitution prepared by the National Continuations Committee.

Five Points

The conference (1) favored a Faculty Advisory Council--Harvard delegates concurring with the reservation that it have no power; (2) disapproved of a judiciary--Harvard representatives again concurring; (3) suggested a different procedure for affiliating with such organizations as I.U.S.--Harvard concurring; (4) favored functional regional representation over proportional, provided there is a new delineation of regions--Harvard concurring; and (5) came to no conclusion on whether organizations within NSO should have a vote--Harvard delegates dividing.

Frederic D. Houghteling '50, William J. Richard '49, and Edric A. Weld, Jr. '46 acted as official College observers while Douglass Cater '46, College delegate at the Chicago Conference last Christmas, Clifton Wharton, Jr. '47, secretary of the NCC, and Don S. Willner '47, member of the NCC, sat in at the meetings. Andrew G. Rice '43 1G served as vice-chairman of the conference.