Council Hears House Dining Study Monday

Committee Report Slaps Menus For Lack of Variety, Calls Supervision Lax in Kitchens

Complaints about House food will get a hearing at the first meeting of the newly-elected Student Council Monday when the three-week old Inter-House Food Committee makes its report.

Criticisms gathered by William L. Bruce '46's investigators in the first weeks of operation centered about lack of variety in menus and "unappetizing" preparation. Undergraduates have alleged that with no boost in costs, meals could be made more appealing by varying salads, dressings, vegetables, and the basic menus themselves.

The report will recommend that the new Council appoint a committee to review the same menus made up by the dining hall stewards before they are submitted to the University dietitian.

Spice and Variety

The committee would be instructed to check for variety of fare and for serious discrepancies in the quality of the menus submitted by the various kitchens.

Preparation of the food new suffers because of lax supervision in the kitchens, according to Bruce's report. The University will be urged to keep closer check on the stewards and to instruct them to keep a watchful eye on the chefs.

The three-week probe found no fault with the quality of the food itself. It is "as good as can be procured," says Bruce. With meals planned only ten days in advance, purchase cannot outrace preparation, so the freshness of the meats and vegetables is assured.