Commencement Week Twenty-Five Years Ago: The Mills of Harvard Tradition Grind Slowly

On a corresponding publication date twenty-five years ago, the CRIMSON, a paper looking very different from today's, was recording very much the same information to its readers. The Class Day issue that year was June twentieth, the crews were in their final practices at Red Top, and the baseball team was preparing for the opening contest of the Yale series.

From New London, a CRIMSON reporter gave the Varsity boat a slight edge over the Elis, but considered the Freshman doomed to defeat. As it turned out, the Yale Varsity came up with a three length victory over the Varsity which was then described as "inexperienced and untried," while the Crimson Freshman experienced little trouble in turning in an easy victory when the Eli yearlings craft sank from under them after a mile and a half.

Rain postponed the baseball game twice before Tale could rack up a 7 to 8 opening victory at New Haven. The Varsity struck back in the second contest two days later, but went down to defeat in the playoffs at the role Grounds the following week.