Crimson Ties For Third in Track Finals

Harwood, Trimble Spearhead Scoring with Two Firsts Fisher Sets Hammer Record

Harvard track took another long step forward last weekend when 10 Varsity specialists vaulted; throw, and hurdled their way to a third-place tie in he 71st annual outdoor IC4A championships on sun-backed Franklin Field, Philadelphia NYU, with 36 points, was the winner, Michigan State scored 25 points for second place, and the Crimson and Penn State each had 24 Forty-four other colleges also ran.

The Crimson point winners came through pretty much as Coach Mikkola had expected. Captain Wes Flint took thirds in both hurdles, Freshman Don Trimble won the javelin throw, Pete Harwood annexed the pole vault title, Bill Jackson was fifth in the shot, and Jack Fisher and Sam Felton placed two-three in the hammer.

Fisher's toss of 172 feet, 11 3/4 inches broke the Harvard record by two feet, 10 3/4 inches, and manager George Caploe should actually be credited with an assist Friday night at the famous Homestead restaurant, after the trials, Caploe offered to buy the former Varsity center a two inch sirloin steak if he would break the record Saturday. Fisher, with customary indifference, said he couldn't promise anything but that he would "go all out" to set a new record. He got the steak dinner.

Captain-elect Frank Gurley almost threw a wrench into the NYU scoring plans in the trials Friday when he just missed catching Reggie (1:51:5) Pearman in the last 10 yards of his 330 heat. Although he failed to qualify. Gurley ran his best half of the season, stopping the watch in 1:56.