Coulson's Two Circuit Clouts Bring Him EIL Homer, Slugging Crowns; Finishes Second in Batting at .366

Walt Coulson, hard-hitting outfielder for the Varsity nine, pounded out two home runs in 12 Eastern Intercollegiate League games this past spring and hit for a total of 24 bases to win both the home run and slugging crowns, according to figures released recently by the Eastern College Athletic Conferences.

In capturing the only two titles claimed by the Crimson for the 1947 season, Coulson finished a scant .004 points behind the League's batting champion, Yale's catcher, Norm Felske, who hit .370.

Felske's 17 safe blows--in 46 at bats--were all for one base while Coulson's 15--for 41--included, besides the two circuit clouts, a double and a triple.

The Varsity, playing under Coach Dolph Samborski for the first time, tied for second in the League race--won by Yale--with Princeton and Columbia, all three teams winning 7 and dropping 5. The Crimson defeated every club in the seven-college League, except the Elis, at least once. And up to their final game, which they lost to Yale 1 to 0, they had a chance of tying for the League lead.

Second in Fielding

Collectively, the Varsity finished second in the League in team fielding with an average of .952 or only 22 errors out of 457 total chances. The Elis were stingier, however, made but 14 errors out of 456 TC, and led the League in that department with an average of .971.

Crimson infielders cavorted more swiftly about the diamond and collected ten double plays to trail Princeton by one in League totals.

At the plate, the Varsity skidded to fourth in the League standings with an average of .237. Cornell, with an astronomical .280, won the team batting championship.

Reilly's Record Best

Brendan Reilly, one of only three Varsity pitchers after Bill Connolly was declared ineligible, ranked fourth in the League in earned runs with an average of 2.25 per game. Jack Wallace was twelfth with 3.89 but had the better won-lost record of the two with 4 and 2. Reilly had 2 wins as against 3 losses.

Ira Godin's five relief appearances without a decision were considered an oddity in the Conference report.

Quinn Record Unspoiled

Princeton's Bob Wolcott topped the League's pitchers with an ERA of 1.08 while Yale's Frank Quinn, who best the Crimson twice, had the best decision record with seven wins and no losses.

Bill Barron, who played the outfield for the Samborski flock, and Bill Fitz, Crimson first-sacker, earned the dubious distinction of finishing second and third, respectively, in number of times struck out. Barron fanned 11 times in 30 trips to the plate, Fitz 10 in 37. The League leader in this department whiffed 13 times. HARVARD BATTING   ab  r  h  rbl  tb  avg. Coulson, of  41  6  15  8  24  .366 Fitz, 1b  37  10  9  4  14  .243 Forte, 2b  40  3  9  6  9  .225 Hamlen, c  40  4  9  3  9  .225 Barron, of  30  4  6  4  8  .200 Mariaschin, ss  36  8  6  2  6  .167 Coppinger, 3b  36  8  5  4  6  .139 20 to 30 times at bat Lunder, of  24  4  10  5  10  .417 Wallace, p  22  3  6  6  7  .273 Caulfield, of  26  6  6  4  6  .231