Three Harlow Pupils Return To Cross Swords With Master

Quartet of Greater Boston "Yankees" Give Invading Western Maryland Eleven Considerable Offensive Potentiality

There will be more than an ordinary football contest going on at Soldier's Field when Harvard entertains Western Maryland College on the latter's initial visit to Cambridge. Three pupils of Dick Harlow will be matching wits against the man who taught them the game. Head coach Charlie Havens and his assistants, Bruce Ferguson and Lou Lassahn learned the gridiron game from one of the all-time masterminds of the sport.

Once Had Harlow

Before heeding the Crimson call to the Ivy League Dick Harlow put Western Maryland on the football map and brought the College national recognition with a string of twenty-seven games without defeat. Bill Shepard, the nation's leading scorer for 1934 was a pupil of Harlow and Bill's blocking back. Bruce Ferguson, is now back-field coach for the Terrors. Havens starred at center for the Green and Gold during the Harlow regime and Lassahn gave an excellent account of himself at end. Lou is now line coach for the Westminster team.

Since Labor Day the squad has been in training on the college campus which is located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, on a hill 1,000 feet above sea level. Situated half-way between Baltimore, Maryland, and Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, Western Maryland College overlooks the town of Westminster on the east and gives a 40-mile view west to the mountains. Men have come from Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Massachusetts to get into condition for a season of stiff competition, Most of last year's team, which had the best record in the state, has returned to prepare for a challenging schedule of opponents, not the least of which is the big Crimson team of Harvard. A large majority of the squad learned something of team work under the direction of Uncle Sam during World War II and come with this added maturity as they quickly acquire the skills of the game.

Havens Succeeded Harlow

Coach Havens has patiently welded a team from a squad containing men from various high schools, who have learned the fundamentals under numerous different systems, and has taught several novices. He took over the coaching job as the immediate successor to Harlow and has mentored the Green Terror teams since 1934, with the exception of his time out in the service of his country.

Featured on the Terror Team are four Medford boys, two of whom were named on the All-Maryland team of 1946. Joe Corletto at tackle is a bulwark of strength on the line and after the football season is a heavy-weight leather-pusher in the ring. He gave a creditable account of himself in the Inter-Collegiate Boxing Association Championships at Penn State last winter, Hank Corrado, a triple threat fullback, can smash the line, heave a pass, or punt with the best.

"Little Joe" Can Run

Fleet-footed "Little Joe" Giannelli can be counted on for some stellar broken field running as he produces some of the thrills of the afternoon. Margareta is another stallwart lineman who protects home-plate during the spring season. All these men are anticipating the renewed rivalry with men they met in high school days.

The Maryland machine may be the underdog in the season's opener as the South invades New England but they can always be counted on for a scrappy performance with plenty of the spirit that makes a good contest.