Jayvees Will Canvass Houses With Boston Petition Today

By Robert Carswell

An unexpected thaw set in at Cambridge yesterday, but it had no effect on the snowballing, energetic movement to name Chief Boston '39, last fall's Jayvee football coach, as successor to Richard C. Harlow.

After signing up all but two out-of-town members of the 1947 Jayvee squad on a petition supporting Boston, leaders of the informal campaign last night started a new set of petitions moving through the general student body. In an hour and a half Frank Powell '46 had signed up 150 supporters. "We plan to circulate the petitions through the Houses and the Yard all this week," said Powell, a Jayvee guard last fall, "with a goal of a couple of thousand signatures."

As the Jayvees organized their campaign, Boston papers continued their orgy of speculation with guesses ranging from John "Ox" Da Grossa to Bruiser Kinard, New York Yankee guard and assistant coach, but no one claimed inside information. Arthur Sampson, H.A.A. publicity director, ventured that he did not expect a final choice for at least a few weeks.

Petitions in Dining Halls

"We plan to circulate the support-Boston petitions in all the House dining halls and Union tomorrow at lunch and at dinner," was the report from Ozzie Keiver, captain of last fall's Jayvees. "As yet we have made no plans to include the graduate schools in the campaign or the alumni."

The original petition, signed by the Jayvees themselves, will be sent to William J. Bingham '16, director of the H.A.A., this week, and the College-wide petitions forwarded as they are signed.

Terming Boston "a man of astute football knowledge" with "tremendous potentialities as a coach," the Jayvee petition went on to say "that he is a great coach in the eyes of those who played under him."