Samborski Plans to Merge Jayvee, Varsity in 30-Man Diamond Brigade

Jayvee and varsity baseball teams will work together as a 30-man unit this spring, Coach Dolph Samborski told the 52 candidates who turned out for the initial diamond meeting last night in Briggs Cage.

Since there will be no distinction made between the two squads and they will be uniformed identically, it is hoped that a schedule can be formulated whereby both teams can play at the same place and at the same time, on different diamonds.

More Men Can Play

Thus, the Varsity would never make a trip while the Jayvees were at home. Jayvees could be substituted for injured Varsity players and men who might ride the bench all season as second or third string material would be given the opportunity to pick up valuable experience.

Freshman Coach Warren Berg was also on hand to greet the group, which included nine holdovers from last year's Varsity plus a large turnout from the 1947 jayvee and freshman outfits. He plans to hold another meeting later on for Yardling candidates.

Samborski faces a 29-game schedule opening at Johns Hopkins on March 29 and running through June 22.

Members of last year's Varsity, which turned in a seven and five won and lost record and finished in a tie with Princeton and Columbia in the league standings, present at last night's meeting included outfielders Lennie Lunden, Bucky Harrison, John Coffey, and Walt Coulson; infielders Web Durant and Captain John Coppinger; and pitchers Ira Godin, Ralph Hymans, and Barry Turner.

Opening workout for battery candidates is tentatively slated for the first week in February while full practice sessions will get underway on February 16.