Seventy-Five

The editors of a college daily have little time to philosophize about the ideals and aims inherent in their day-to-day work. Their pressing problems to gather enough news to fill the pages, and to write that news as concisely and as fairly as possible. It is not surprising, therefore, that a group of comparatively inexperienced journalists does not always utilize its full opportunities in handling a free college newspaper. An anniversary may be a useful time to articulate the long-range aims, that are generally lost among other necessary, but petty, problems.

In general, the CRIMSON differs little in aims from the great majority of newspapers. It has peculiarities, but so do the small-town weekly and the big city newspaper. Where the CRIMSON does differ radically, is that it draws its staff from all parts of the country, and changes the staff every year. Thus the paper has a broader, less clearly defined policy, and one that is liable to change from year to year. Although this is in some ways a disability, it prevents the CRIMSON from gouging deep ruts of ideas or style.

The first aim of any newspaper must be to present truthfully the important happenings in its community. That is not a task to minimize, for to know what is important one must understand the people, the place, the time. If the editors once know what news will be important to the readers, they must decide how far they are willing to let superficial reader interest guide them in the selection of what is to be printed. The CRIMSON is not the Monitor, nor is it the Record: it socks both solidity and color.

In that middle road the CRIMSON is in danger of injury from both sides. In urging forward its reforms, the paper must still keep a certain amount of lightness lest it lose its surface attractiveness and its readers. Too much, sensationalism would make the paper worthless.

It is not enough that a newspaper describe the happenings in its own semi-isolated community. It must explore the outside world, and it must know thoroughly the points where the two domains touch. The undergraduate has only a short stay at Harvard, and his newspaper can take a stop in relating the college to what comes afterwards.

Those are the aims of the CRIMSON in its news coverage: editorial policy has been less consistent through the years, perhaps chiefly because the staff changes so rapidly. But the paper, fortunately free of University controls, has always been able to fight for liberal ideals. Realizing the responsibility that goes hand in head with the freedom and the power, it confines its campaigns to issues that are important to the undergraduate.

The CRIMSON is a self-contained organization, not purposefully representative of the majority opinion of any student body. As it is by students, so is it certainly for them. Its aim is to give the news completely and without prejudice, to work in its medium for the interests of the College and the University. Its success, like every newspaper's, must be judged by its readers. The CRIMSON of 1948 echoes the Magenta of 1873: "I won't philosophize. I will be road."