Matthiessen Puts Wallace In Same Class As Jefferson

Professor F. O. Matthiessen last night ranked Henry Wallace with Thomas Jefferson because of his "grasp of American culture" in a speech to 200 students in Harvard Hall. The meeting was sponsored by the Committee for Wallace.

Professor Matthiessen, noted as an expert in U. S. civilization, said that Wallace understood American far better than his two opponents, Truman and Dewey. His real opposition, Matthiessen added, came from those who "fear his stand on equality."

"I fully believe that Dewey will be in the White House," he continued, "but I don't think the fight will be over." Voters should still support Wallace to build the third party, Matthiessen said.

Tossing of Wallace's Communist support, the Professor explained, "I'm not against housing just because Bob Taft is for it."

"If Communists want to fellow travel with me, let them travel."

Later in the meeting, Walter O'Brien, Democratic and Progressive nominee from the Tenth Congressional District, accused his opponent, Christian Herter, of opposing "every liberal bill brought up during his six years in the House."

O'Brien pledged himself to restore price controls, increase veterans' housing, fight for social security, and repeal the Taft-Hartley Law