Ex-OPA Chief Paul Porter Speaks Tonight at Forum

Two nationally known economists will give their attention to a rising cost of living and a possible future country-wide depression in the term's second Law School Forum tonight at 8 p.m. at Rindge Tech.

The two financial specialists, former OPA Administrator Paul Porter and Malcolm P. McNair, professor of Marketing at the Business School, will discuss the topic, "How Can We Avoid Depression?"

They are expected to consider particularly whether there is a need for immediate and drastic economic legislation in the form of federal controls and taxes to offset the economic imbalance created by such projects as the Marshall Plan and rearmament.

Long Public Career

Porter has had a long career in administrative and legal public offices. Recently, he has been head of the Office of Price Administration and Chief of the U.S. Economic Mission to Greece.

In addition to teaching in the Business School since 1931, Professor McNair has served as director of such firms as John Wanamaker and the National Retail Dry Goods Association. He is author of numerous books on retailing and marketing.

The Law Forum meeting will be moderated by Dean Edward Mason of the Graduate School of Public Administration.

Porter is also scheduled to meet with members of the Liberal Union today at 3 p.m. in the chess room of the Union.

A round-table discussion of the presidential race by Law School professors has been scheduled for October 29 by the Law School Forum.

Participating in "The Faculty Votes" forum are Professor Edmund M. Morgan, chairman, Professor W. Barton Leach, professor Warren Abner Seavey, and Professor Richard H. Field. Other speakers have not as yet been named.