Wild, Mather Question Benefits of Science to Man in SANSS Meeting

"The overall effect of science on men's minds has been bad," John D. Wild, professor of Philosophy, declared at the first fall meeting of the Students' Association for the Natural and Social Sciences last night in Littauer auditorium.

Professor Wild and Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology, discussed the "Influence of Natural Science on Society" at the meeting.

Professor Mather maintained that the object of science is to make life more efficient, not to increase human well-being.

He noted the change in human fear, stating that man now fears science instead of the supernatural. He claimed scientists are not responsible for what is done with their products, nor are they often cognizant of the results of research.

Professor Wild thought science had brought about an extreme materialistic philosophy and the worship of the scientific method. He stressed the fact that the scientific method is not a valid instrument for ferreting out the harmful material tendencies of human life.

He declared that though science has eliminated most of the fears of environment, it has substituted the more dangerous fear of our fellow men.

SANSS will hold its next meeting Tuesday, October 26, when Professor Wendell Furry will discuss "The Place of the Scientist in Society."